Monday, May 2, 2011

Sad Stacks and Left Over Paper

If you're a scrapbooker like me, you may have quite a few partially used blocks and stacks of scrapbook paper that you thought at one time were perfect for your project or album.  As it turns out, the paper didn't quite coordinated with the photos you were scrapping or you never got to use it and now you're done with the album.  The paper is just sitting in a your organizer, taking up valuable space, getting dusty, fading, and lonely.

So what's a paper lover to do?  Well, here are a few ideas of how to put that sad stack of paper to good use.

1.  Got Kids?  Give it to them.  Let them get creative with it.  Everything from making their own scrapbook pages to paper arts 'n crafts projects.  If they are too young, sit down and do a project together with them.  There are lots of great craft ideas online.  Download templates and instructions if you need too. 

This past fall, I found some faded orange and black paper.  I sat down with my daughter, who was 18 months at the time, and together we made paper pumpkins for Halloween. We added some details with black markers and crayons and presto we had jack-o-lanterns.



I then found some paper in my Old World Stack.  It was an antique brown paper with a design I knew would never coordinate with anything I would scrapbook in the near future.  I drew leaf patterns on the white side and cut them up.  I gave them to my daughter to crumple them up.  She loved it!  Next we took a  little walnut distressed ink and stickles.  With in minutes we made fall leaves to go along with our jack-o-lanterns.  Then we took them and decorated the windows.  We both had a fun and it was a great way to use up some left over paper.  Note - always make sure the little ones are supervised with scissors and any materials that may destroy your furniture, walls, and/or carpets.

2.  Paper swap.  What's old and unusable to you, may be new and perfect for someone else.  Compile a pile of coordinated papers from your stack (if you can swing it 2 of each paper) and make-up a couple swap kits.  Then the next time you are with your scrapping friends see if they would be interested in swapping papers.  It's a great way to rotate your inventory without spending money.

In the past when I've been on my scrapping retreats, we often have a share table.  We take out papers that we don't want and put them on the table for others to use.  I know I've put out some of my leftovers and have definitely picked up a few that have helped me with my albums.

3.  Donate it.  If you don't want to use it for your own projects or the paper is not perfect for a scrapbook, then consider donating it to a local pre-school or daycare.  I know they are always looking for art supplies and any donated materials are always welcome.  Just check with the person in charge to make sure they can use it or before you drop it off.  The last thing you want to do is have them throw it out.

Of course there are many more things you can do with that paper.  If you've got a favorite idea, please feel free to share it!  I'd love to hear what you do with your paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment