Friday, June 10, 2011

The Power of Paper

Last month I went on my annual pilgrimage to the National Stationery Show in New York City.   This year's theme - Paper Power. 
Imagine, over 500 exhibits of the latest in wrapping paper, journals, paper products, note pads, note cards, invitations and stationery.  Their mission, to give people the ability to use paper a means of or for expression for just about any occassion.  Simply aisles and aisles of cotton fiber papers, recycled papers, cardboard and acrylics (okay that’s not paper, but some of them could pass as they were paper thin) all featuring the latest colors and patterns of the year.
My mission was twofold, one to visit with my suppliers and two, to see what was new in the paper and stationery world.  I had less than eight hours to complete my mission with a lot of ground to cover.  So I changed up my strategy for walking the floor.  Unlike last year where I started with the first aisle, this year, I went right to middle where most of my current suppliers were stationed.   I met with the my sales reps and introduced myself to those who only knew me by phone.  It gave me opportunity to engage in informative and educational conversations about the new invitation/stationery books they were putting out for this year.   As a result, I picked up the new Betsy Hall Stationery book from McPhersons which arrived last week.  Saw what new things are coming from C’est Papier this year and picked up the new Bar/Bat Mitzvah Album from Pioneer Announcements – one of my best selling invitation lines.  It just arrived and I’m so excited!   
 
Bat Mitzvah from Pioneer Announcements

The last stop on the first part of my mission was to check out Checkerboard – a company that I had been thinking about opening an account with – and finally did.   I perused the current and new albums for 2011/2012 and finally decided to order the newest Bar/Bat Mitzvah album from Checkerboard.  It should be arriving sometime in the fall. 
The first part of my mission was complete.  It only took me two hours and still gave me plenty of time to walk the floor for fabulous new finds. 
So with the six remaining hours, I cruised through the aisles working my way from the last aisle to the first.  I met some new exhibitors – not just new to me but new to the show.  Saw the most exquisite hand crafted invitations in today’s most popular color – honeysuckle.  Picked up four new lines of invitations including – Mosaica, Birchcraft, Checkerboard, and Tag & Co.  And I discovered two new journal suppliers both of whom will be perfect for feeding my journal paper habits. 
Out of the Mouth of Babes
The one company I’m really excited about, Journals Unlimited, has a great line of products called “Write it Down!”   The journals come in three different sizes and colors, are the perfect under $20 gift, come in over 60 titles and I can even customize them!  Inside, those that have titles other than Blank Journal, have designated areas for you to put the information you want to record - spaces for dates, favorite memoires, times, locations, etc.  For those of you who are into scrapbooking and are always thinking about keeping a journal to capture the words to go with the pictures, they have the perfect journals for just that purpose. 

Wedding Planner

There is  Vacation – A Traveler’s Journal, Out of the Mouths of Babes – for those kid quotes you’ve always wanted to capture, but didn’t, Birthday- The Birthday Journal, Memories – Our Family Journal, and Kid Stuff – My First Journal.  If you’re a planner like me, they have the Wedding Planner -My Wedding Journal and Day Planner – My Planning Journal.   These are just a few of their many relevant and creative titles.  I will have some available by the end of the month if you are looking for a new Journal!



After a long day of processing the power of paper, I was completely satisfied and fulfilled my mission.  Looking forward to next year's show and I hope my new paper finds for this year will be as exciting to you as they are to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment